Prep 15 mins
Cook 12 mins
Here is a healthy dish just bursting with iron and it is low fat & low calorie
Make and share this Feta Cheese, Kale & Red Onions recipe from Food.com.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Put in the kale and cook 2 minutes (it should be bright green), drain immediately, put under cold water.
- Coarsely chop the Kale.
- In the same pan heat the oil and cook the garlic and onions for about 4 minutes until the onions are clear and the garlic is golden.
- Add a tbsp of water as you are cooking them and it will steam the onions and keep them soft.
- Add kale, salt, pepper half of the feta cheese and the broth.
- Stir and heat through.
- Crumble the remaining feta cheese over the veggies just before serving.
This was amazing. I bought some kale produced locally and decided to make this. I did blanch the kale and found it easy to do. I just used my metal colander and put the colander in the kale in the hot water and then pulled out the colander and cooled it. Feta cheese was a nice foil for this vegetable but really all of the flavors together were wonderful. A definite do over for this healthy veggie.
Boiling kale seems like a waste of nutritients. I sautée the garlic, then add kale and sautée for another 3 minutes, add chili paste, stir nicely for a minute. And then I add cubed feta. Another stir so it heats up. And this is the yummiest lunch!
Great, versatile recipe. The only reason I didn't give it FIVE stars is because it calls for broth, which seems silly when you have perfectly good cooking water from the kale. As to versatility, it's one where you really don't have to measure anything: I used a small bit of a red onion that I had left over, more garlic, no prepared broth, and about double the feta, just to clear another item out of my refrigerator. It was delicious, and looks appealing. I would make this recipe for a potluck anytime.