1/3 Photos of Filled Focaccia With Ham and Melted Fontina
2 hrs 30 mins
A Delia Smith creation that she describes as a 'hot, home-made sandwich'. I love everything to do with hot cheese and this is no exception. The focaccia dough is made in a bread machine, stuffed and then baked. Any number of fillings would be great here. Use your imagination--mushrooms, artichokes, salami, bacon--the possibilities are endless!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 250 g bread flour
- 1 teaspoon easy-blend dry yeast
- 150 ml water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 175 g parma ham
- 350 g Fontina cheese or 350 g gruyere cheese
- 3 tablespoons fresh sage leaves, chopped
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1Pop the ingredients for the dough into a bread machine in the order recommended by the manufacturer. Set to dough and start.
- 2Towards the end of the time, prepare the filling by slicing the cheese thinly and separating the slices of ham.
- 3When the dough is ready, remove from the machine, turn it out onto a lightly foured surface, divide it into two and then roll out one half to form a rough rounded rectangle approx 28 x 20cm.
- 4Place the rolled out dough onto a baking tray or pizza stone and arrange the slices of ham on top, making sure that they go right up the edges. Follow this with the cheese, then scatter the sage and season well with the pepper. Roll out the remaining dough, lay it on the top of the other half and pinch the edges together to completely enclose the filling. Cover with a clean cloth and leave to puff up for about 30 minutes.
- 5Preheat the oven to Gas 6/400/200 degrees. When the dough is ready, make about 15 little dimples in it with your finger and press in the sprigs of rosemary. Finally drizzle over the olive oil and sprinkle with salt.
- 6Bake for 20-25 minutes, until the dough is crisp and golden.
- 7Serve straight from the oven, cut into wedges or squares.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Filled Focaccia With Ham and Melted Fontina
Serving Size: 1 (870 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2872.4
- Calories from Fat 1377
- Total Fat 153.0 g
- Saturated Fat 73.4 g
- Cholesterol 406.7 mg
- Sodium 7469.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 245.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.5 g
- Sugars 6.2 g
- Protein 123.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
fresh sage leaves