1/2 Photos of Five Cheese Mac 'n Cheese for Grownups
1 hr 10 mins
I am not a big fan of Mac 'n Cheese normally, but once I had some at a catered affair and loved it. I am hoping this is similar. This is adapted from a recipe on another cooking site. The photo shows this recipe made with 3/4 cup cheddar, 3/4 cup Gruyere, and the rest Velveeta. Versatile recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 16 ounces penne (or any other tubular pasta shape)
- 1/4 lb bacon, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 1/2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups Fontina cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup blue cheese, crumbled
- 3/4 cup gruyere cheese, grated
- 3/4 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 3/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Butter a 9 x 13 inch glass baking dish.
- 2Cook pasta according to package directions; drain.
- 3In a large Dutch oven, saute bacon pieces until crisp. Remove and set aside. Saute onion in the bacon drippings until they wilt. Add the butter to pot and whisk in the flour, stirring constantly. Next whisk in the mustard. Gradually add the milk and cream, whisking constantly.
- 4Season with thyme, bay leaf, and salt. Cook over low heat (simmer) for about 15 minutes, stirring frequently.
- 5Strain out solids (thyme and bay leaf). Immediately add 1 cup of the Fontina, the bleu cheese, 1/2 cup of the Gruyere, 1/2 cup of the cheddar, 1/2 cup of the Parmesan, the reserved bacon, and parsley. Stir until cheese is melted. Add the drained pasta and stir to coat.
- 6Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish. Combine the remaining cheeses with the bread crumbs and sprinkle over top.
- 7Bake 15 to 20 minutes until bubbling and lightly browned. Let rest a few moments before serving.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Five Cheese Mac 'n Cheese for Grownups
Serving Size: 1 (240 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 685.5
- Calories from Fat 415
- Total Fat 46.2 g
- Saturated Fat 26.6 g
- Cholesterol 142.5 mg
- Sodium 711.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 47.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.4 g
- Sugars 4.3 g
- Protein 21.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: