1 hr 10 mins
This is a very versatile dish from Bonnie Stern who has owned a cooking school in Toronto Canada for over 30 years. It can be served at a cocktail party, as an appetizer or as a main course with a side salad. My DH & I have been known to devour the whole thing, with a few glasses of wine, on a Saturday night!!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 large onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 lb frozen puff pastry (defrosted but cold)
- 6 ounces brie cheese, diced (rind removed)
- 6 ounces mild blue cheese, diced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chervil or 2 tablespoons parsley
- 1Heat oil over medium high heat in a large skillet.
- 2Add onions; cook until wilted& starting to brown.
- 3Add sugar, vinegar, salt& pepper.
- 4Reduce heat& cook gently for 15- 25 minutes or until onions are caramelized& brown.
- 6Roll pastry into a rectangle approximately 12 x 16 inches. I don't use the sheets of puff pastry - I prefer to use the 375gm package of Tenderflake Puff Pastry. I start rolling it out on my counter, then I transfer it to my baking tray (which has been lined with parchment paper) and roll the pastry to fit the tray. Since puff pastry is very "forgiving", you can "cut & paste" if necessary.
- 7Spread onions over pastry.
- 8Dot with cheese& sprinkle with chervil.
- 9If you are preparing this for a party, you can prepare to this point and refrigerate- then bake later.
- 10Bake in preheated 400F oven for 20- 25 minutes or until cheese has melted& pastry is crisp.
- 11When removed from the oven, it will be puffed right up but allow it to cool for 5 minutes & it will fall back down. Cut into 20 serving pieces - this is easier done with kitchen scissors instead of a knife - then cut each piece in half diagonally.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Flatbread With Caramelized Onions & Cheese
Serving Size: 1 (1094 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 73.1
- Calories from Fat 47
- Total Fat 5.2 g
- Saturated Fat 2.1 g
- Cholesterol 7.4 mg
- Sodium 130.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 4.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 1.0 g
- Protein 2.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: