1/5 Photos of Four-Cheese Macaroni With Curry Crunch
A touch of spicy curry flavour is a surprisingly terrific match for cheesy pasta. Do try the four cheeses below (though you can also use up bits of cheese lingering in your refrigerator). In either case, be sure to use the goat cheese for luscious creaminess. For variety, stir in sliced mushrooms or chopped broccoli. Stolen with love from Marilyn Bentz-Crowley at Food and Drink Magazine.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup finely diced onion
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 4 cups fresh breadcrumbs (TIP below)
- 3 cups macaroni or 3 cups penne
- 1/2 cup mild creamy chevre cheese, crumbled
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded provolone cheese
- 1 cup shredded friulano cheese or 1 cup gouda cheese
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 4 cups whole milk or 4 cups 2% low-fat milk
- 1 sprig fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 4 -5 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1Heat butter in a large frying pan over medium heat until bubbly. Add onion; cook 2 minutes. Stir in garlic and curry; cook 1 to 2 minutes, stirring frequently, or until fragrant. Remove from heat. Stir in bread crumbs; set aside.
- 2Cook pasta in boiling salted water according to package directions for al dente. Drain, rinse under cold water and drain again. Set aside.
- 3Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
- 4Toss cheeses together with flour and salt. Set aside. Heat milk with thyme and bay leaf in a large saucepan over medium heat. When just starting to bubble, stir in cheese mixture by handfuls. Heat, stirring frequently, for 8 to 10 minutes until sauce is just starting to bubble and is thickened. Remove bay leaf and thyme stem; stir in black pepper and green onions. Stir in pasta until coated.
- 5Turn mixture into a 4 qt baking dish which has been coated with cooking spray for easy cleanup. Smooth top and evenly sprinkle with curry crumbs.
- 6Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until a knife inserted into the centre feels hot when removed. If crumbs are getting too brown, lay a piece of foil loosely overtop. Serve with sugar snap or snow peas and warm chapati or whole wheat pita. (Any remainder can be covered and refrigerated for up to 2 days. Reheat, loosely covered, in microwave on half power until hot.).
Browse Our Top Elbow Macaroni Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Four-Cheese Macaroni With Curry Crunch
Serving Size: 1 (309 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 708.1
- Calories from Fat 248
- Total Fat 27.5 g
- Saturated Fat 15.8 g
- Cholesterol 69.6 mg
- Sodium 1267.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 83.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.6 g
- Sugars 11.9 g
- Protein 30.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: