From Like Grandma Used To Make by Reader's Digest, c. 1996. I omit the mushrooms when I make this, but am posting the recipe as is. You can substitute the American cheese for Cheddar cheese (or sub out the mozzarella) - just use a cheese combination you like!
FOR THE SANDWICHES
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1⁄2 cup fresh mushrooms
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 8 slices home-style white bread
- 4 slices American cheese or 4 slices cheddar cheese
- 4 slices mozzarella cheese or 4 slices monterey jack cheese
FOR THE EGG COATING
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 3 tablespoons 1% low-fat milk
- nonstick cooking spray
- To prepare the sandwiches, in a 10-inch nonstick skillet, melt butter over moderate heat. Cook mushrooms, onion, and pepper in butter until vegetables are tender. Remove from skillet.
- For each sandwich, layer a slice of bread, a slice of American cheese, some of the mushroom-onion mixture, a slice of mozzarella cheese, and another slice of bread.
- To prepare the egg coating, in a shallow bowl, whisk together the egg, egg white, and milk. Dip sandwiches in coating to coat on both sides. Wipe out skillet. Coat skillet with cooking spray. In the skillet, cook sandwiches, 2 at a time, over moderate heat until bread is golden and cheese begins to melt, turning once.