1/5 Photos of French-Toasted Cheese Sandwiches
From Like Grandma Used To Make by Reader's Digest, c. 1996. I omit the mushrooms when I make this, but am posting the recipe as is. You can substitute the American cheese for Cheddar cheese (or sub out the mozzarella) - just use a cheese combination you like!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
FOR THE SANDWICHES
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1/2 cup fresh mushrooms
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 8 slices home-style white bread
- 4 slices American cheese or 4 slices cheddar cheese
- 4 slices mozzarella cheese or 4 slices monterey jack cheese
FOR THE EGG COATING
- 1To prepare the sandwiches, in a 10-inch nonstick skillet, melt butter over moderate heat. Cook mushrooms, onion, and pepper in butter until vegetables are tender. Remove from skillet.
- 2For each sandwich, layer a slice of bread, a slice of American cheese, some of the mushroom-onion mixture, a slice of mozzarella cheese, and another slice of bread.
- 3To prepare the egg coating, in a shallow bowl, whisk together the egg, egg white, and milk. Dip sandwiches in coating to coat on both sides. Wipe out skillet. Coat skillet with cooking spray. In the skillet, cook sandwiches, 2 at a time, over moderate heat until bread is golden and cheese begins to melt, turning once.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for French-Toasted Cheese Sandwiches
Serving Size: 1 (147 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 349.1
- Calories from Fat 158
- Total Fat 17.5 g
- Saturated Fat 9.7 g
- Cholesterol 97.5 mg
- Sodium 784.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 3.7 g
- Protein 17.6 g