1 hr 30 mins
This large vegetable quiche is ideal for a "meatless" dinner or lunch.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 -10 mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon basil (or 1 tablespoon fresh basil)
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 2 carrots, shredded (1 cup)
- 1 1/2 cups half-and-half (or 1 cup light cream and 1/2 cup milk)
- 1 1/2 cups swiss cheese, grated shredded,divided
- 10 asparagus spears, washed and trimmed,divided
- 1 tomato, sliced in 1/4 inch rounds
- parsley sprig, garnish (optional)
- 1 10-inch pie shell
- 1Preheat oven to 375-degrees F.
- 2Roll out pastry to fit 10-inch quiche pan.
- 3Melt butter or margaine in skillet.
- 4Add onions, garlic and mushrooms to pan and cook 8-10 minutes or until soft.
- 5Add flour, 1/2 teaspoon cayene pepper, salt and basil to pan and cook for an additional 3-5 minutes.
- 6Remove from heat and set aside.
- 7Beat eggs with half and half (or light cream and milk), 1 cup cheese and carrots.
- 8Add mushroom/onion mixture to egg/cheese/carrot mixture and stir to combine.
- 9Slice 5 asparagas spears into 1-2" pieces.
- 10Lay asparagas pieces on the bottom of pie shell.
- 11Pour filling (cheese/egg/carrot mixture) over asparagas in pie shell.
- 12Crimp edges on pie shell (if not done previously) and place pie pan on cookie sheet.
- 13Bake for 20 minutes.
- 14Remove from oven.
- 15While quiche is baking slice remaining aspasagas spears into 1-2" slices or leave 5" long for decorative design.
- 16Arrange tomato slices and asparagas pieces on top of quiche in a wagon-wheel pattern or other attractive pattern.
- 17Bake an additional 20-30 minutes or until quiche is firm to the touch and knife comes out clean.
- 18Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup shredded cheese and parsley.
- 19Bake 10 minutes.
- 20Remove from oven.
- 21Let cool (5-10 minutes) before slicing.
- 22Garnish with parsley sprigs, if desired.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Garden Vegetable Quiche
Serving Size: 1 (201 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 463.0
- Calories from Fat 289
- Total Fat 32.1 g
- Saturated Fat 15.2 g
- Cholesterol 181.4 mg
- Sodium 728.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 3.7 g
- Protein 17.4 g