Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This large vegetable quiche is ideal for a "meatless" dinner or lunch.
Make and share this Garden Vegetable Quiche recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 -10 mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon basil (or 1 tablespoon fresh basil)
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 2 carrots, shredded (1 cup)
- 1 1⁄2 cups half-and-half (or 1 cup light cream and 1/2 cup milk)
- 1 1⁄2 cups swiss cheese, grated shredded,divided
- 10 asparagus spears, washed and trimmed,divided
- 1 tomatoes, sliced in 1/4 inch rounds
- parsley sprig, garnish (optional)
- 1 10-inch pie shell
- Preheat oven to 375-degrees F.
- Roll out pastry to fit 10-inch quiche pan.
- Melt butter or margaine in skillet.
- Add onions, garlic and mushrooms to pan and cook 8-10 minutes or until soft.
- Add flour, 1/2 teaspoon cayene pepper, salt and basil to pan and cook for an additional 3-5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Beat eggs with half and half (or light cream and milk), 1 cup cheese and carrots.
- Add mushroom/onion mixture to egg/cheese/carrot mixture and stir to combine.
- Slice 5 asparagas spears into 1-2" pieces.
- Lay asparagas pieces on the bottom of pie shell.
- Pour filling (cheese/egg/carrot mixture) over asparagas in pie shell.
- Crimp edges on pie shell (if not done previously) and place pie pan on cookie sheet.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven.
- While quiche is baking slice remaining aspasagas spears into 1-2" slices or leave 5" long for decorative design.
- Arrange tomato slices and asparagas pieces on top of quiche in a wagon-wheel pattern or other attractive pattern.
- Bake an additional 20-30 minutes or until quiche is firm to the touch and knife comes out clean.
- Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup shredded cheese and parsley.
- Bake 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven.
- Let cool (5-10 minutes) before slicing.
- Garnish with parsley sprigs, if desired.
I made this last night..and it was WONDERFUL! The flavors are really good. I served with a spinach salad, so we REALLY got our veggies in! Thumbs up from everyone who ate.
I made this for Sunday brunch and my family enjoyed a delightful treat. I didn't see where to add the 2nd 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne so I added it to the egg mixture. Otherwise, your instructions were very detailed and easy to follow. I chose to use fresh basil and half-n-half. The end result was an incredible tasting, fluffy textured, colorful, hearty quiche. I can't remember when I have had any better. Thanks and best of luck to you.
so yummy! I used red peppers and broccoli instead of carrots. Too much egg for 9" pie crust.