Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
Love this simple panini! You don't need a panini grill to make this recipe.
Make and share this Grilled Cheese & Tomato Panini recipe from Food.com.
- Coat a stovetop ridged grill pan or large nonstick skillet with nonstick cooking spray; heat over medium-high.
- Meanwhile, assemble panini; lay slices of bread on cutting board; top each with a slice of Cheddar.
- Place a tomato slice on top of 4 slices of cheese.
- Assemble to make 4 sandwiches.
- Cook 3-4 minutes, turning once halfway through.
- Press down with a spatula until cheese melts.
But using a panini press is lovely. I buttered the outside of both of the 9-grain bread slices, evenly distributed (a quarter inch? maybe) of mexican-style finely shredded cheese (monterey jack, mild chedder, queso quesadilla and asadero cheeses--I used Kroger brand). Used a nicely-ripe roma tomato, cut to cover--pretty much completely--the cheese. This is so easy and really delicious.
These are sooooo good! Super simple to put together. I used hamburger buns that I had just picked up from the bakery. I lightly butter the outsides of the bun and cooked it in my grill pan. I made one of these for dinner, and loved it so much, I had to make myself another one. Thanks for sharing, Lainey. Made for March, 2009 Photo Tag.
The grilled cheese sandwich just grew up. Made for a quick and tasty lunch. DH loved addition of tomato to his grilled cheese. Made as written using a Roma tomato as that is what I had on hand. Thanks so much for the post.