Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
I'm doing a clean-up in all my magazines and I'm posting some recipes for safe-keeping. This one is from Coup de Pouce.
- 4 red bell peppers or 4 yellow bell peppers, halved, undamaged stem, seeded and white membrane removed
- 1 slice whole wheat bread, grilled and cut in dice of 1/4 inch
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 cups monterey jack pepper cheese or 2 cups Fontina cheese, grated
- Put bell peppers, cut side down, on a greased baking sheet. Grill in a preheated oven of 400 F for about 20 minutes or until they are tender.
- Flip the bell peppers, distribute the cubes of bread in the holes and cover with half the basil. Sprinkle with garlic and cheese. Keep cooking for about 15 minutes or until peppers are lightly black on the sides and cheese is bubbling. Sprinkle with remaining basil.
Delicious! Fairly easy to make. Served this with Cinnamon Roasted Sweet Potatoes and corn for vegetarian meal. Made as posted except I reduced the oven temp to 375 only so that I could do the sweet potatoes at same time-lazy me loves oven meals. :) Thanks for sharing Boomette.
Wow! These exceeded what I was expecting; the pepper jack cheese is a delightful contrast to the sweet peppers. Made using a half the basil called for as I forgot to put the other half on at the end of the cook time. This is a true keeper. Thanks for the post.
We really loved these peppers! So fresh and light and easy to make. I used garlic salad croutons for the bread pieces and it worked perfectly. Thanks for posting this recipe!