1/4 Photos of Half-Time Sausage Mac and Cheese
1 hr 5 mins
This recipe is delicious! Unfortunately, it is loaded with calories, but it is great for when you want to have that occasional splurge for comfort food. I got this recipe from People magazine, I believe, of all places. I didn't even know they published recipes but it was in an edition I happen to be browsing through right before the Super Bowl this year. I made it for a party and it was gone in no time. This cheese sauce would be awesome on it's own I think as well. You can definitely make this without the sausage and it would be great as well but it makes a wonderful one-dish meal if included.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For cheese sauce
- 1 tablespoon onion, finely minced
- 4 ounces unsalted butter
- 4 ounces all-purpose flour
- 1 quart milk
- 1 lb American cheese, slices (white or yellow)
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- ground nutmeg, to taste
- 1 cup heavy cream
Rest of ingredients
- 1To prep before, make light roux; melt the 4 ounces butter in heavy bottomed pan, slowly add the flour and stir until combined and smooth.
- 2Cook over medium heat until just golden brown; set aside.
- 3Grill sausages or bake in oven and set aside.
- 4Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 5In large pot, boil water and cook macaroni al dente.
- 6While pasta cooks, heat oil in a large skillet and add onions.
- 7Saute onions over low heat, stirring frequently.
- 8Add the roux to the onions and add the milk gradually, whisking to work out any lumps.
- 9Bring sauce to a full boil, then reduce heat and add cheese one slice at a time.
- 10Simmer until smooth and thickened.
- 11Adjust seasoning to taste with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- 12Strain through a fine-mesh colander, if desired.
- 13Add heavy cream and simmer to a good flavor and consistency.
- 14Rub an ovenproof casserole dish with the garlic, then add the macaroni, sliced sausage and sauce; mix well.
- 15In a small bowl, mix melted butter and bread crumbs and sprinkle mixture on top.
- 16Cover with foil and bake for 35 minutes.
- 17Then take foil off, add grated cheese and cook uncovered for an additional 5 minutes. Let rest before serving.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Half-Time Sausage Mac and Cheese
Serving Size: 1 (484 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1317.4
- Calories from Fat 630
- Total Fat 70.0 g
- Saturated Fat 40.0 g
- Cholesterol 195.3 mg
- Sodium 1432.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 123.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.6 g
- Sugars 4.1 g
- Protein 47.8 g