1/1 Photo of Hillary's Vegetarian Quiche
1 hr 50 mins
1 hr 25 mins
Leslie in Texas's Note:
This comes from the R.S.V.P. section of a December 1881 issue of Bon Appetit magazine. It was requested from Hillary's restaurant at Water Tower Place in Chicago. You may also use a combination of the listed cheeses for the quiche.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 -4 tablespoons ice water
- 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 small bunch spinach, chopped (8 oz. )
- 1/4 lb mushroom, sliced
- 2 cups grated swiss cheese (1/2 lb.total) or 2 cups provolone cheese (1/2 lb.total) or 2 cups cheddar cheese (1/2 lb.total)
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 pinch salt
- 1For Crust:.
- 2Cut shortening into flour and salt until it resembles coarse meal.
- 3Sprinkle with ice water as needed and toss gently just until dough ball forms; do not overmix.
- 4Cover and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- 5Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- 6On floured board roll dough into 13-inch circle.
- 7Fit into 10-inch porcelain quiche pan, cover with waxed paper and weigth with beans or pie weights;bake 15 minutes.
- 8Remove beans or weights; brush bottom and sides of crust with beaten yolk.
- 9Reduce oven heat to 375 degrees.
- 10For Filling:.
- 11Melt butter in medium skillet.
- 12Add onion,spinach and mushrooms and saute until onion is translucent, about 8 minutes.
- 13Sprinkle cheese(s) into crust; top with spinach mixture.
- 14Blend remaining ingredients and pour over spinach.
- 15Bake 1 hour until knife inserted into center comes out clean.
- 16Serve warm or at room temperature.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hillary's Vegetarian Quiche
Serving Size: 1 (195 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 638.7
- Calories from Fat 429
- Total Fat 47.7 g
- Saturated Fat 22.8 g
- Cholesterol 254.3 mg
- Sodium 308.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 2.4 g
- Protein 22.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: