Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 8 hrs
Cook 15 mins
Now you can make your own goat cheese! I got this from The Essence of Emeril show!
Make and share this Homemade Goat Cheese recipe from Food.com.
- In a large non-reactive saucepan, combine goat's milk, buttermilk, and rennet.
- Heat over low heat to 180 degrees.
- Transfer to a non-reactive bowl and allow to sit overnight, covered, until curd and whey separate.
- Line a colander with several layers of cheesecloth and ladle curds into colander with large spoon.
- Discard whey.
- Fold cheesecloth over top of curd and allow to drain overnight, refrigerated.
- Remove from cheesecloth and season to taste with olive oil, salt and pepper.
Don't discard the whey down the drain! Use it as a water substitute in bread, on your roses, even drink it in orange juice. But hat suff is full of nutrients!
Delicious! I followed directions; however, I never got curds large enough to ladle out, so in step 4, I poured the mixture into colander to drain, discarding the large amount of whey that immediately ran through cheesecloth. This has a nice smooth texture just like store-bought. It's a bit of trouble, but worth it if you want fresh goat cheese or live in an area where it is not available. I enjoyed making this.