This stunning and delicious salad was a staple at the Wheat's household. I must give the credit for that. Man, one plate of this stuff is NEVER enough! Form a serving line and let everyone build their own; chatting in "line" is half the fun of this meal.
- 8 cups chili, served hot such as Chili Con Carne With Beans (I probably would not cook mine for 2 or 3 hours...I can't wait that long for Hully Gully)
- 1 head lettuce, shredded
- 5 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- corn chips (We like Frito's - 1 to 2 bags of the small ones)
- 4 cups grated monterey jack cheese or 4 cups cheddar cheese
- 8 ounces sour cream (1 to 2 containers)
- garlic powder
- 8 ounces salsa (1 to 2 jars)
- Cook your chili first.
- While the chili is simmering, chop your lettuce, tomatoes, and onion.
- Stir a bit of garlic salt in to the sour cream (it adds flavor and makes it more creamy).
- Grate your cheese if it's not already grated.
- Pop the top on your salsa and serve right from the jar if you wish.
- Place the ingredients in separate bowls in a serving line fashion in this order: plates (big is good), chips, cheese, chili, lettuce, tomatoes, onion, sour cream, and salsa.
- To serve: Chips go on the plate first, then the cheese. When you put the chili on top of that, the cheese will melt. Then the cold stuff on top -- lettuce, tomato, onion, sour cream and salsa.
- I don't need to say, "enjoy" 'cuz I know you will! Kids LOVE this!
LOVE this salad! :) I used a can of chili. skipped the onions, and used low fat ranch instead of sour cream. SO YUMMY! Even my toddler ate this salad happily. I think next time I might add jalapenos to the top of mine b/c I like extra spicy! It's a keeper... already put the leftover chili up so I can enjoy this tomorrow! Thanks for sharing!
Thought I had reviewed this, so sorry. I have made this a couple of times with leftover chili & we really enjoy it. Easy!
Delicious!! I used homemade chili and tortilla chips (not a fan of Fritos). We loved it! Thanks for sharing!