1/1 Photo of Iron Mike's White Sharp Cheddar N' Ham Macaroni and Cheese
I ate the most incredible macaroni and cheese with ham that my wife brought home from some fancy restaurant in town known for their Mac n Cheese. (It was packaged in aluminum foil which was formed to look like a swan - I don't even WANT to know how much she paid for this dish!) ANYway - Since Kraft doesn't make this in a box, I thought I'd try out my hand (and whisk) at making it from scratch. Below is the result of many trials (and a few errors...) on my journey to Mac 'n Cheese perfection. I hope you enjoy this as much as my family. There are some recommendations at the bottom regarding different substitutions... I'd appreciate any feedback!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
Macaroni and Ham
White Sauce and Cheese
- 1Begin the cooking process of the macaroni- according to package directions; Add cubed ham (to warm) during the final minute or so of cooking the macaroni; Drain and set aside.
- 2While water is heating and macaroni is cooking, make your White Sauce: Melt butter in a saucepan over medium-low heat; add Flour and Salt, and cook about 1 minute, stirring constantly with a wire whisk until mixture is smooth and bubbly.
- 3Stir the Milk into the mixture and bring to a boil.
- 4Stirring constantly, boil mixture for 1 minute.
- 5Lower heat and cook until thickened, stirring regularly about 4-6 minutes.
- 6(Don't forget to add the ham to the macaroni as it is cooking!).
- 7Remove White Sauce from heat; Add cheese; stir until melted; Pepper to taste.
- 8Combine cheese sauce with the macaroni and ham in a bowl (or the macaroni pot); stir well.
- 9Serve with a yummy green vegetable on the side like green beans or asparagus.
- 11CHEF'S NOTES: You may use Medium/Mild Cheddar or maybe even PepperJack with this recipe as well; I would add a little"kick" with the milder cheeses by adding a clove of minced garlic, or by using salami pieces instead of ham- Yum!
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Iron Mike's White Sharp Cheddar N' Ham Macaroni and Cheese
Serving Size: 1 (213 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 563.0
- Calories from Fat 253
- Total Fat 28.2 g
- Saturated Fat 16.9 g
- Cholesterol 97.8 mg
- Sodium 1027.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 45.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 1.7 g
- Protein 31.1 g