1/1 Photo of Israeli Couscous Salad With Asparagus, Cucumber and Olives
1 hr 10 mins
From Bon Appetit, June 2006. I discovered Israeli couscous at a restaurant over a year ago and set out to find it to try in standard couscous recipes. (Believe it or not I found Israeli couscous for sale at Safeway grocery store by sheer accident!) Quite thrilled to find this recipe very recently!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and finely minced
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth (homemade is best) or 2 1/2 cups chicken broth (homemade is best)
- 2 cups israeli couscous, toasted
- 2 cups asparagus spears, cut into 1/2-inch pieces, blanched
- 2 cups English cucumbers, seeded, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup kalamata olive, pitted, cut in half
- 2 large green onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves (plus a few sprigs for garnish-*NOT* dried mint!)
- 1 1/2 cups feta cheese, crumbled
- 1In a small non-reactive bowl combine the garlic, lemon juice and Dijon mustard. Whisk in the oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper and set aside.
- 2Bring the broth to a boil in a medium sauce pan. Stir in the couscous. Cover pan, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until the couscous is tender and all the broth is absorbed, approximately 10 minutes.
- 3Transfer the couscous to a serving bowl, sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper. Cool the couscous to room temperature.
- 4Once cooled, stir in the blanched asparagus, cucumber, olives, green onions, and 1/4 cup mint leaves. Add the dressing and toss to coat. Gently mix in the feta cheese.
- 5Garnish with mint sprigs.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Israeli Couscous Salad With Asparagus, Cucumber and Olives
Serving Size: 1 (177 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 384.4
- Calories from Fat 187
- Total Fat 20.8 g
- Saturated Fat 6.2 g
- Cholesterol 25.0 mg
- Sodium 395.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.7 g
- Sugars 2.4 g
- Protein 11.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: