Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
These are awesome! Crusty unsliced Italian bread is a must for this recipe, regular unsliced soft bread will not hold up. The ricotta mixture can be prepared well in advance and refrigerated until ready to use.
- 2 large Italian bread, unsliced
- 3 cups ricotta cheese
- 1⁄3 cup prepared pesto sauce (use more or less if desired to taste, store-bought or homemade)
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese (use more to taste if desired)
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup sliced black olives (very well drained pat dry with a paper towel, can use more)
- 2 (4 ounce) packages pepperoni, sliced (use more if desired)
- 2 1⁄2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (or to taste)
- Place one oven rack in upper-third of the oven, and the second oven rack on the lower third.
- Heat oven to 450°F (regular or convection air-bake).
- Half each loaf lengthwise, then crosswise to make 8 pizza crusts.
- In a bowl combine ricotta, pesto, Parmesan, salt and pepper.
- Spread on the bread crusts.
- Sprinkle the olives on top of the ricotta.
- Top with pepperoni slices.
- Top with shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Place 4 pizzas on one baking sheet and the other 4 on another baking sheet.
- Place on sheet on one rack and the other on the other rack.
- Bake for about 10-12 minutes (the cheese should be well melted).
- Cool for about 5 minutes.
I thought this was good, but needed some sort of sauce added to it. I agree with the other reviewers that it taste like a lazagne pizza. If I make it again I would probally use half the ricotta mixture and add some pizza sauce on top of that. Thanks so much for posting!
I cut the recipe in half since there are only 2 of us, then I froze the other half of bread, ricotta mixture and pizza sauce. I also added a light layer of pizza sauce after the ricotta mixture. It was a different way to make pizza and my husband loved it!
Thanks for the recipe! Of course, I made my own changes with the ingredients I had on hand, but it can be very versatile. I used a ciabatta loaf, about 1 cup of cottage cheese and toppings like sausage, olives, onions, roasted red bell peppers, etc. The list could go on! It was delicious! Tasted like lasagna-pizza.