1/4 Photos of Italian Flag Salad (Caprese)
So elegant and so simple. This is my little adaptation of the classic Caprese salad...everything is the same except that the fresh basil has been replaced by purchased (or homemade if you have it on hand) pesto sauce. I like this version more because I think the salty/garlicky/nutty pesto does more for the other two ingredients.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Make sure you serve this on a white platter!
- 2Wash and dry the tomatoes.
- 3Remove the stem and cut into slices, approximately 1/2 inch thick, lengthwise.
- 4Arrange slices decoratively on platter.
- 5Drizzle with just the barest amount of olive oil, sprinkle lightly with salt (sea salt is wonderful!) and coarsely ground, FRESH black pepper.
- 6Cut the mozzarella into slices approximately 1/3 inch thick and arrange 1 slice of cheese per slice of tomato.
- 7(the mozzarella balls available in Greece are pretty small- maybe 3-4oz).
- 8What you want is a white slice of cheese just covering the tomato slice, but with the red of the tomato peeking through.
- 9Dot each mozzarella round with 1/2 to 3/4 tsp of pesto.
- 10Serve with lots of crusty bread!
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Italian Flag Salad (Caprese)
Serving Size: 1 (118 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 181.5
- Calories from Fat 115
- Total Fat 12.8 g
- Saturated Fat 7.4 g
- Cholesterol 44.8 mg
- Sodium 359.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 3.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 2.2 g
- Protein 13.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: