So elegant and so simple. This is my little adaptation of the classic Caprese salad...everything is the same except that the fresh basil has been replaced by purchased (or homemade if you have it on hand) pesto sauce. I like this version more because I think the salty/garlicky/nutty pesto does more for the other two ingredients.
- Make sure you serve this on a white platter!
- Wash and dry the tomatoes.
- Remove the stem and cut into slices, approximately 1/2 inch thick, lengthwise.
- Arrange slices decoratively on platter.
- Drizzle with just the barest amount of olive oil, sprinkle lightly with salt (sea salt is wonderful!) and coarsely ground, FRESH black pepper.
- Cut the mozzarella into slices approximately 1/3 inch thick and arrange 1 slice of cheese per slice of tomato.
- (the mozzarella balls available in Greece are pretty small- maybe 3-4oz).
- What you want is a white slice of cheese just covering the tomato slice, but with the red of the tomato peeking through.
- Dot each mozzarella round with 1/2 to 3/4 tsp of pesto.
- Serve with lots of crusty bread!