1 hr 25 mins
1 hr 5 mins
I found this in Cook's Country, the new magazine by the Cook's Illustrated people. I haven't tried it yet but plan on making it for the Thanksgiving dinner at work. I'm going to go ahead and post it for those looking for Holiday recipes. It's basically a savory cake made with potatoes and eggs, with a layer of cheese and salami in the middle, and made in a springform pan like a cheesecake
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus
- extra unsalted butter, for greasing pan
- 5 tablespoons plain breadcrumbs
- 3 lbs russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 large eggs
- 6 ounces italian Fontina cheese, sliced thin
- 1/4 lb thinly sliced salami, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese or 1/3 cup romano cheese
- 1Move oven rack to middle position and preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Butter a 9-inch springform pan and sprinkle with 1/4 cup bread crumbs.
- 3Shake the pan to evenly spread out the crumbs.
- 4Put the potatoes in a large pot and add cold water to cover by 1 inch.
- 5Bring to a boil over high heat then lower heat to a simmer.
- 6Cook until tender, around 15 minutes.
- 7Drain the potatoes and return to the pot.
- 8Mash them with 4 tablespoons butter until smooth.
- 9Add the cream, salt and pepper and stir until well mixed.
- 10Let it cool for 5 minutes then stir in the eggs one at a time.
- 11Spoon half the potatoes into the prepared springform pan.
- 12Layer the slices of fontina cheese over the potatoes and then layer the salami pieces over the cheese.
- 13Cover with the rest of the potatoes.
- 14Melt the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter and mix with the rest of the bread crumbs (1 tablespoon).
- 15Mix in the Parmesan cheese and sprinkle this mixture over the top of the potatoes.
- 16Bake for 35-45 minutes, or until the casserole is very hot and puffede and the top is golden brown.
- 17Remove from oven and run a paring knife around the casserole to loosen from the sides and let it stand for 10 minutes before removing the sides of the pan.
- 18Serve hot.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Italian Potato Cake
Serving Size: 1 (171 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 342.0
- Calories from Fat 186
- Total Fat 20.6 g
- Saturated Fat 11.9 g
- Cholesterol 118.1 mg
- Sodium 608.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.1 g
- Sugars 1.8 g
- Protein 12.4 g