Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 5 mins
I found this in Cook's Country, the new magazine by the Cook's Illustrated people. I haven't tried it yet but plan on making it for the Thanksgiving dinner at work. I'm going to go ahead and post it for those looking for Holiday recipes. It's basically a savory cake made with potatoes and eggs, with a layer of cheese and salami in the middle, and made in a springform pan like a cheesecake
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus
- extra unsalted butter, for greasing pan
- 5 tablespoons plain breadcrumbs
- 3 lbs russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 large eggs
- 6 ounces italian Fontina cheese, sliced thin
- 1⁄4 lb thinly sliced salami, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1⁄3 cup grated parmesan cheese or 1⁄3 cup romano cheese
- Move oven rack to middle position and preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter a 9-inch springform pan and sprinkle with 1/4 cup bread crumbs.
- Shake the pan to evenly spread out the crumbs.
- Put the potatoes in a large pot and add cold water to cover by 1 inch.
- Bring to a boil over high heat then lower heat to a simmer.
- Cook until tender, around 15 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes and return to the pot.
- Mash them with 4 tablespoons butter until smooth.
- Add the cream, salt and pepper and stir until well mixed.
- Let it cool for 5 minutes then stir in the eggs one at a time.
- Spoon half the potatoes into the prepared springform pan.
- Layer the slices of fontina cheese over the potatoes and then layer the salami pieces over the cheese.
- Cover with the rest of the potatoes.
- Melt the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter and mix with the rest of the bread crumbs (1 tablespoon).
- Mix in the Parmesan cheese and sprinkle this mixture over the top of the potatoes.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes, or until the casserole is very hot and puffede and the top is golden brown.
- Remove from oven and run a paring knife around the casserole to loosen from the sides and let it stand for 10 minutes before removing the sides of the pan.
- Serve hot.