These are very spicy but so good. If you want less spicy, you can use a less spicy pepper - like a poblano. These are great on the grill or any other way you cook a burger!!
- On the grill or under the broiler, roast the jalapeno peppers whole, until they start to turn black. Once they are black on all sides, put into a brown paper bag, close and let sit 5 minutes. Remove from bag and peel off skin.
- Using a knife, slit open jalapenos, and take the seeds out and remove the stem. Cut jalapenos in half so you have 4 total slices of jalapeno. Set aside.
- In a bowl combine ground beef, 1 egg, ketchup, salt, garlic, and onions. You may also use any other seasonings you like in your hamburger mixture. Mix well.
- Form 8 thin patties. Take one slice of jalapeno and one slice of pepper jack cheese and place on 4 of the patties. Top each patty with remaining four patties and seal the edges together so the cheese doesn't leak out.
- Grill burgers or cook as usual until done. Your burgers will have a spicy, cheesey surprise in the middle of each one. Delicious!
These burgers were really good. I made exactly as directed except I threw a slice of american cheese on top, along with the cheese on the inside. (you can never have too much cheese:) )I was afraid these were going to completely fall apart while I was grilling them -- the meat was really soft, I think the egg was too much moisture....maybe mine was just too big? In the end though they held together enough to form a yummilicious burger that both my husband and I enjoyed. Thanks so much for posting! Made for Phase 1 of Theirs, Yours, & Mine Photo Tag.