I am very picky about mac n cheese - I won't touch that stuff in the box. I like it to be creamy, yet do not like the flavor of the "processed" cheese which makes it creamy. I played around with this quite a bit to get the right blend of creaminess and flavor, along with the topping I prefer on my mac n cheese.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease 2 quart casserole dish.
- Cook macaroni al dente; drain.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a medium saucepan. Remove from heat; stir in flour, salt, pepper, mustard, paprika and onion until smooth. Gradually stir in milk.
- Bring to a boil, strirring constantly. Reduce heat and simmer for 1 minute. Remove from heat; stir in Velveeta and 1 C cheddar until smooth.
- Fold macaroni into cheese sauce and pour into casserole. Sprinkle with remaining cheddar.
- For topping, melt butter and toss with bread crumbs to coat. Sprinkle mixture over macaroni. Bake 30-40 minutes until brown and bubbly. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.