1/2 Photos of John Wayne's Green Chilie Squares
1 Cookin' Texan 1954's Note:
I found this recipe in a magazine. John Wayne was my Daddy's favorite cowboy, so this quickly became one of his favorite dishes for me to make for him. I like to serve it when I make a pot of pinto beans, fried potatoes, and cornbread. Add some slices of onion, some chow chow and you have a good old "country dinner"! Hint: I add a chopped fresh jalapeno and /or green onion to make it spicy.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Lightly grease the bottom of a 8x8 baking dish.
- 2Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- 3Spilt and seed green chilies and arrange chiles over the bottom of the baking dish.
- 4Sprinkle cheese over the chilies.
- 5Beat eggs, salt and milk together.
- 6Pour over the top of the cheese.
- 7Bake in the oven for about 20 minutes or until bubbly and set.
- 8Take out of oven and arrange tomato slices in a single layer on top.
- 9Return to the oven for 5 to 10 minutes.
- 10Cut into squares and serve warm.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for John Wayne's Green Chilie Squares
Serving Size: 1 (182 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 383.5
- Calories from Fat 261
- Total Fat 29.1 g
- Saturated Fat 17.6 g
- Cholesterol 189.9 mg
- Sodium 727.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 6.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 3.5 g
- Protein 24.2 g