I found this recipe in a magazine. John Wayne was my Daddy's favorite cowboy, so this quickly became one of his favorite dishes for me to make for him. I like to serve it when I make a pot of pinto beans, fried potatoes, and cornbread. Add some slices of onion, some chow chow and you have a good old "country dinner"! Hint: I add a chopped fresh jalapeno and /or green onion to make it spicy.
- Lightly grease the bottom of a 8x8 baking dish.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Spilt and seed green chilies and arrange chiles over the bottom of the baking dish.
- Sprinkle cheese over the chilies.
- Beat eggs, salt and milk together.
- Pour over the top of the cheese.
- Bake in the oven for about 20 minutes or until bubbly and set.
- Take out of oven and arrange tomato slices in a single layer on top.
- Return to the oven for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Cut into squares and serve warm.