1/2 Photos of Kangaroo Pie ( Actually, Fish in Pastry, With a Cheese Sauce!)
Karen Elizabeth's Note:
I'm posting this recipe for ZWT5. it comes from a lovely cookbook "Dine Around The World", a gift from a friend many years ago. From the book :" One hundred years ago, a Hungarian lady brought recipes to Sydney, but nobody could understand their Hungarian names. So this roll was called Kangaroo Pie, because filling it reminded people of a kangaroo filling its pouch." It doesn't specify the fish to use, but I would use hake, cod, tilapia, or similar.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 300 g frozen puff pastry
- 500 g fish fillets, cooked and skinned
- 100 g pickled gherkins, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1Pre-heat oven to 220C/425°F.
- 2Defrost puff pastry and roll out to a rectangle, about 12 x 14 inches.
- 3Cube cooked fish fillets, mix gently with chopped gherkins and onion, spread on pastry and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 4Sprinkle parsley on top and roll up firmly.
- 5Place roll in a buttered dish, brush with beaten egg and and bake in pre-heated oven at 220C/425F for 15 minutes.
- 6Reduce the heat slightly and bake for another 15 minutes, until pastry is golden-brown.
- 8In a small saucepan, heat butter, stir in flour gradually, after a minute gradually add cream, stirring constantly, and bring to boil.
- 9Remove from heat, add grated cheese and stir until it has melted.
- 10If you prefer a thinner sauce, whisk in the milk.
- 11Season to taste with cayenne pepper, salt and pepper.
- 12Arrange roll on heated platter, garnish with parsley and serve with cheese sauce.
- 13A mixed salad goes well with this.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kangaroo Pie ( Actually, Fish in Pastry, With a Cheese Sauce!)
Serving Size: 1 (429 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 963.9
- Calories from Fat 618
- Total Fat 68.7 g
- Saturated Fat 31.6 g
- Cholesterol 236.8 mg
- Sodium 794.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 2.3 g
- Protein 44.1 g