Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
This "rice" used in this recipe can be used as a substitute for rice in any recipe.
Make and share this Low Carb Tuna and ' Rice' Casserole recipe from Food.com.
- 20 ounces fresh cauliflower, shredded, 1 small head
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded, divided
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon instant minced onion
- 2 (6 ounce) cans canned tuna, drained
- 4 ounces mushrooms, drained
- Put cauliflower in a 2 1/2 quart casserole with a lid.
- Add 3 tablespoons of water, cover and microwave on HIGH 8-10 minutes until just tender, stirring every couple minutes (do not overcook); stir in 1 tablespoon butter.
- Meanwhile, sauté the celery in remaining tablespoon of butter until very tender.
- In medium microwaveable bowl, mix 6 ounces of the cheese and cream.
- Microwave a 2 minutes to melt the cheese; stir until well blended.
- Whisk in mayonnaise, seasonings and dry onion.
- Stir tuna and mushrooms into cauliflower; add cheese sauce and mix well.
- Can be covered and chilled at this point and then baked later.
- Cover and bake at 350ºF for 20 minutes; uncover, top with remaining cheese and bake another 10-15 minutes until bubbly; add an extra 5-10 minutes to first baking time if chilled.
I used fresh onion and mushrooms and added the flakes. I needed to use the onions and mushrooms up. Other than made as written. It was fantastic! The whole family loved it.
I added green onions to this recipe instead of onion powder. Turned out great. Husband loved it.
Delicious, low carb recipe! It didn't have the celery, and I thought there was sufficient cheese in the six ounces mixed with the heavy cream and mayo, so I didn't top the casserole with the remaining two ounces of cheese.