1/2 Photos of Macaroni and Cheese Oven-Baked Casserole (With a Dash of Spicy)
A.B. Hall's Note:
This is a warm, cheesy and delicious baked macaroni and cheese casserole. It is a little spicy (re: pepper and garlic), but it is easily modified to personal taste. My toddler loves this recipe! He gobbles it down, spices and all. This dish is great with a side of steamed, mixed veggies.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups skim milk (or any other milk)
- 1 cup soymilk, fortified (substituting with any other milk is fine)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons white whole wheat flour (while a healthy and delicious flour, substituting with any other flour is acceptable)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (more of less to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper (more or less to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder (more or less to taste, alternately, 1-2 cloves of minced fresh garlic would be nice as well)
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder (more or less to taste, alternately, 1 small onion diced and sauteed would be great in this dish)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard (more or less to taste)
- 2 cups whole wheat pasta, uncooked (approximately 10 ounces, i.e. macaroni, spirals, shells, mini penne... may substitute with enriched )
- 8 ounces cheese, sliced (I use a Jack-and-Colby-combo cheese that comes in 10 slices)
- 2 ounces mozzarella cheese, grated 0R cut into small cubes (may substitute with any other creamy-textured cheese, i.e. Muenster, Provolone, Edam)
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Set aside an 8x11 glass casserole dish (spray with non-stick spray, if desired).
- 3Cook the pasta according to its instructions and remove from heat 2 minutes PRIOR to it being fully cooked. Drain the pasta and rinse with cold water (to halt further cooking of the pasta). Drain the pasta and return to saucepan.
- 4AS THE PASTA IS COOKING, warm all of the milk and the 2 tbsp butter over medium-low heat.
- 5In a small bowl combine the flour, salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and ground mustard. After the milk is heated, whisk in 1/2-1 cup of the milk, whisking until combined and no clumps remain. Whisk this mixture back into the milk, reduce heat to a simmer and allow the sauce to thicken (about 2-3 minutes). Remove from heat.
- 6Layer ingredients in the 8x11 dish: Add 1/2 of the pasta and 1/2 of the sauce, stir. Sprinkle 1/2 of the Mozzarella over the pasta and arrange 1/2 of the sliced cheese over the mozzarella. Repeat the steps once more (DO NOT stir the second layer of pasta and sauce unless you stir very gently, working to avoid disturbing the layer below).
- 7Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the top is a golden color and the milk is bubbling (while not necessary, the dish may be covered for 1/2 of the baking time, if desired).
- 8The dish will continue to cook when removed from the oven. Letting it cool for 5-10 minutes will insure a delicious (and slightly cooled) meal.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Macaroni and Cheese Oven-Baked Casserole (With a Dash of Spicy)
Serving Size: 1 (160 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 380.3
- Calories from Fat 151
- Total Fat 16.7 g
- Saturated Fat 9.8 g
- Cholesterol 43.5 mg
- Sodium 628.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 1.7 g
- Protein 19.8 g