Prep 5 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a recipe my mom did not make often enough. A family favorite
Make and share this Macaroni & Cheese Casserole recipe from Food.com.
- 8 ounces macaroni, cooked as directed
- 12 ounces cheddar cheese, thinly slice
- 4 eggs
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup cracker crumbs or 1⁄4 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine, melted
- liberally butter a 2 quart casserole dish.
- Alternate layering macaroni and cheese slices in the buttered casserole.
- Beat eggs, milk, salt and pepper.
- Pour mixture over macaroni and cheese.
- Mix cracker crumbs with melted butter.
- Add to top of casserole.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until a knife comes out clean when inserted.
I was given a link from someone before I found Zaar and Maybe it was your recipe because it is the exact same recipe. I have made many recipes for mac and cheese, complicated ones, sauces etc... This one is the BEST and easiest recipe I have tried, it amazes me how the eggs make a creamy sauce type texture. The only difference is I grate the cheese.
I was intrigued by this recipe since it was not the traditional white sauce/melted cheese poured over noodles. I will say I was a little unsure when I started putting everything together thinking I didn't have enough noodles to go with all the cheese and the milk/egg mixture. The final results were a nice surprise as there were plenty of noodles, nice cheese layers and an egg type custard holding everything together. My husband loved having the separate cheese layers! Figured I could serve this with a salad next time and I'd have my meal - lots of protien and carbohydrates in the macaroni and cheese. Only thing to note is upon reheating there was a little weeping of the custard mixture but I just poured off the liquid - reheats nicely.
This was not what I expected. The texture was more like a souffle or custard. The only change I made was to use two different kinds of cheddar cheese (half white and half yellow) and 1/8 teasp. dry mustard. Took 55 min. to cook. Flavor was very good but hubby asked me not to make it again because he didn't like the texture.