1 hr 20 mins
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 lb onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 lb shredded carrot
- 1/2 lb small mushroom, cleaned and sliced
- 1 lb ground sirloin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 8 fluid ounces low sodium beef broth
- 1/3 cup dry red wine
- 2 tablespoons no-added-salt tomato paste
- vegetable oil cooking spray
- 1In a large nonstick skillet, sauté the onion, garlic, carrot, and mushrooms over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are wilted and pan liquids are absorbed, about 6 minutes.
- 2Crumble in the ground sirloin and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until the beef is well browned, about 5 minutes.
- 3Drain off any excess fat.
- 4Add the oregano, thyme, cumin, and pepper.
- 5Sprinkle the flour over the beef mixture and stir.
- 6Add the beef broth, wine, and tomato paste.
- 7Stir until well combined.
- 8Line a 2-quart casserole with a piece of heavy-duty aluminum foil large enough to completely enclose the casserole.
- 9Lightly spray the foil inside the casserole with cooking spray.
- 10Transfer the meat mixture to the prepared casserole.
- 11Set aside while you prepare the topping.
- 12Place the potatoes in a pot of boiling water to cover.
- 13Reduce the heat and simmer until tender when pierced with a fork, about 15 to 20 minutes; drain.
- 14Mash the potatoes, adding sufficient skim milk until the potatoes are fluffy.
- 15Stir in the salt (if using), minced jalapeño chiles, cilantro, and scallion.
- 16Spoon the potato mixture onto the top of the meat mixture, making swirls with the back of a spoon.
- 17Sprinkle with paprika and cheese.
- 18Cover the casserole and freeze until solid.
- 19Lift the food out of the casserole (the foil will adhere), wrap securely in the foil, then slip the package into a self-sealing plastic freezer bag or overwrap in additional foil or freezer paper.
- 20Label with the casserole name and the date.
- 21Use within 3 months.
- 22When ready to bake, unwrap the casserole and place back in the casserole dish to bake.
- 23Defrost completely.
- 24Then bake at 375°F for 40 to 45 minutes, until golden and bubbly.
- 25(Since the casserole will be full, it may bubble over, so place a sheet of aluminum foil under the casserole to catch any drips.) Serve hot.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Make Ahead Southwest Cattle Rancher's Pie
Serving Size: 1 (299 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 266.2
- Calories from Fat 81
- Total Fat 9.0 g
- Saturated Fat 3.8 g
- Cholesterol 52.3 mg
- Sodium 121.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.2 g
- Sugars 4.8 g
- Protein 19.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
low sodium beef broth