One of my favorites recipes--a rich combination of sausage and three cheeses stuffed into manicotti shells! And it's not too difficult!
- 1 lb breakfast sausage, browned
- 1 medium onion, chopped finely
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 12 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 12 ounces cottage cheese
- 1 (15 ounce) can black olives, chopped
- 1 (16 ounce) box manicotti
- 2 (20 ounce) canshunts or del monte spaghetti sauce (one "Garden Vegetable", one "Traditional" flavor)
- 12 ounces water (or 1/2 large can above)
- Brown sausage, cool slightly.
- Mix cheeses, sausage, olives, onions in large bowl.
- Stuff hard manicotti shells with above mixture (do not cook shells first or they will be near impossible to stuff).
- Place stuffed shells in 9x13 Pyrex/glass baking dish.
- Spread remaining sausage/cheese mixture over shells.
- Pour spaghetti sauce over top. You may only need 1 1/2 cans of sauce depending on the pan size.
- Pour 1/2 can water along sides.
- Cover and refrigerate over night--this wait period will help the shells soak up water and get stoft.
- Bake at 350°F for 40-50 minutes or until bubbly.