1/6 Photos of Molten French Camembert Potato Gratin With Bacon and Onions
1 hr 10 mins
French Tart's Note:
Pure indulgence & total comfort food! Melted Camembert cheese baked au gratin with potatoes, bacon, onions, wine & creme fraiche! This is my own adaptation of a recipe called Tartiflette; an Alpine Savoy dish which uses Reblochon cheese which I find a bit overpowering in flavour, so I made my own recipe up using Camembert and cutting out butter and full fat cream too! This is a truly lovely meal which is served with crisp green salad and a selection of charcuterie - such as salamis, sausages, pates & terrines. Bring the Poele, the little cooking pot to the table, have everything set out, add some wine & invite friends and family over.......... oh, and don't forget to light the log fire too!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Pre-heat oven to 210C,425°F.
- 2Grease an ovenproof dish, I use a French Poele, a small pan like earthenware dish with a handle, but any oven proof dish which is fairly deep will be okay!
- 3Peel and boil the potatoes whole; cook for about 20-25 mins or until JUST tender but still holding their shape well.Plunge them into cold water to stop them cooking and set them to one side.
- 4Meanwhile, heat up a frying pan and cook the lardons or bacon cubes together with the diced onions. Cook them over a medium heat, pouring away any excess fat. Fry them until the bacon is crispy but not too brown and the onions are tender.
- 5Mix together the creme fraiche and glass of wine. Season the mixture very well with black pepper and just a touch of salt, as the bacon will be salty.
- 6Take your Camembert cheese and very carefully slice it into two pieces horizontally.
- 7Drain the cooled potatoes and cut them into 1/4" thick slices. Layer half of them in to the greased oven proof dish and then cover with half of the onion and bacon mixture.
- 8Pour over half of the wine and creme fraiche mixture. Place one half of the whole Camembert on top. Repeat the layer in the same order: potatoes, bacon and onion mixture, wine and creme fraiche mixture and end the layers by placing the last half a Camembert cheese on top.
- 9Season with black pepper again and just a pinch of salt if you wish.
- 10Bake in a pre-heated oven for about 45 minutes or until the gratin is brown and bubbling.
- 11Set to one side for about 3-5 minutes, it firms up a bit and is easier to serve then!
- 12Serve with a big bowl of crisp green salad, assorted Charcuterie such as cold meats, salami, terrine and sausage AND not forgetting crusty bread to mop all those juices up with!
- 13Great with a well chilled and dry white wine such as Chablis or Chardonnay.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Molten French Camembert Potato Gratin With Bacon and Onions
Serving Size: 1 (407 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 793.1
- Calories from Fat 346
- Total Fat 38.5 g
- Saturated Fat 24.0 g
- Cholesterol 118.2 mg
- Sodium 1091.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 63.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.6 g
- Sugars 6.3 g
- Protein 32.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: