Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
From the April/May 2006 issue of Everyday with Rachael Ray magazine. This is such a simple pizza. I do think that the buttery flavor of the Pillsbury crust really compliments the combo of swiss, mushrooms, and garlic. I don't think that a standard pizza crust would blend as well with these topping, but that is just my opinion. LOL
- 14 ounces refrigerated prepared pizza crust (I used Pillsbury)
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 5 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stems discarded
- 8 ounces white mushrooms
- 2 cups swiss cheese, shredded
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Preheat the oven to 400°F Spread the pizza dough out to cover a large baking sheet, then brush with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and sprinkle with the garlic. Bake for 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, thinly slice the shitake and white mushrooms. In a large skillet, heat the remaining tablespoon of olive oil over high heat and sauté the mushrooms until golden, 8 to 10 minutes. Season to taste with salt.
- Sprinkle the baked dough with the Swiss cheese, then the mushrooms and the mozzarella. Sprinkle a little more salt over the topping and return the pizza to the oven. Bake until the cheese is golden and bubbly, about 15 minutes.
- Cut into squares and serve.
Made this for dinner tonight. We used the Pillsbury crust as suggested. I have to say we weren't a fan of it. I have a feeling this would have been a 5 star recipe otherwise. I did add a little of an italian blend shredded cheese to the mozzarella to bring it up to 2 cups. Someone had gotten into the mozzarella so I only had about 1 1/4 cups when I went to use it. I also didn't measure my mushrooms and think we probably had more than called for. Our pizza was done a little early so you may want to keep a close eye on it during the last couple of minutes. I am sure we will be making this again. When we do, we'll try it again using a different crust and will update our rating if necessary. I am pretty sure it will be a 5 star recipe.
Nice and simple, not too many flavors. Added more garlic and black pepper to mushrooms.