1/3 Photos of Mushroom Mania Marzetti for Mom
1 hr 20 mins
Tasty, yet simple, and easy to digest, this is my elderly Mom's favorite casserole. I adapted it from Johnny Marzetti in Jean Anderson's "The American Century Cookbook". My Mom asked me to double the mushrooms; the baby Portabella mushrooms available at Costo or Sam's are a hit in this casserole. Use low-sodium tomato sauce and Cabot's cheese to reduce the amount of sodium. Anyone else can slash my preparation time, I am "the slowest chopper in the Western Hemisphere."
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion (peeled and chopped)
- 3 large garlic cloves (minced)
- 3/4 lb baby portabella mushrooms (wiped clean and thinly sliced)
- 1 lb extra lean ground beef (or ground venison)
- 1 3/4 cups low-sodium tomato sauce
- 3/4 lb extra-sharp cheddar cheese (Cabot brand preferred, coarsely shredded)
- 1/2 lb bow tie pasta (or elbow macaroni)
- 1Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Place the farfalle (aka bow ties) into the pot, cook 8 to 10 minutes, until al dente, and drain.
- 2Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 3Lightly grease 11 x 7 x 2-inch baking dish (or two 8x8-inch pans) and set aside.
- 4Heat olive oil in a very large heavy skillet over moderate heat 1 minute.
- 5Add onion and garlic. Stir-fry until limp, about 3 minutes.
- 6Add mushrooms and stir-fry until juices are released and evaporate, about 5 minutes.
- 7Add beef and cook and stir, breaking up clumps, until no longer red, about 5 minutes.
- 8I usually drain the beef mixture in a fine mesh colander due to the volume of high water content onions and mushrooms.
- 9Off heat, mix in tomato sauce and all but 1 cup cheese.
- 10Transfer to baking dish, add bow ties, and toss gently but thoroughly to mix.
- 11Scatter remaining 1 cup cheese on top. (Add grated parmesan cheese if more is needed.).
- 12Bake, uncovered, until browned and bubbling, 35-40 minutes, and serve.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mushroom Mania Marzetti for Mom
Serving Size: 1 (328 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 562.1
- Calories from Fat 251
- Total Fat 27.9 g
- Saturated Fat 14.6 g
- Cholesterol 138.3 mg
- Sodium 422.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.5 g
- Sugars 6.1 g
- Protein 38.3 g