1/1 Photo of My Special Friday Night Vegetarian Onion and Tomato Quiche
This is my family's favorite quiche recipe. I tend to make it on Friday nights, when my vegetarian stepdaughter arrives home from the week at university with a large appetite for something home-cooked and satisfying. Serve with a bowl of soup or a salad, and you've got just that. What makes it so delicious in my opinion is the "secret ingredient" . . . mustard smeared on the bottom of the crust.I have noted one TBS in the recipe, but use as much as you need to provide an even coating. This quiche definitely tastes as good cold as warm from the oven, and makes a nice appetizer when cut in small portions, as well.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 -2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, cut in half,then sliced in rings
- 2 tomatoes, sliced thinly
- 4 eggs
- 7/8 cup cream
- 8 ounces grated gruyere cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- salt and pepper (Watch salt as cheese can be salty)
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard (grainy, or your favorite)
- 1 9-inch pie shell
- 1Pre-heat oven to 400° F (or 200° C).
- 2Blind-bake the pie shell till just set and beginning to brown, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- 3Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- 4This can obviously be done in advance.
- 5Saute the onion slices in the oil, and cook till they go golden.
- 6Add the crumbled thyme, salt and pepper.
- 7In a mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs and the cream.
- 8Spread the mustard evenly on the bottom of the quiche crust with a brush or spoon.
- 9Next, spread the cheese evenly in the shell.
- 10Follow by spreading the onions over the cheese.
- 11They will not make a solid layer; distribute as evenly as possible.
- 12Pour in the egg/cream mixture.
- 13Lay the tomato slices on top.
- 14Salt and pepper again, if desired.
- 15Bake for approximately 35 minutes, or until filling has set and cooked all the way through to the center, and is nicely browned.
- 16Remove from oven, serve, and enjoy!
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for My Special Friday Night Vegetarian Onion and Tomato Quiche
Serving Size: 1 (310 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 754.8
- Calories from Fat 526
- Total Fat 58.5 g
- Saturated Fat 26.8 g
- Cholesterol 306.5 mg
- Sodium 570.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 3.7 g
- Protein 28.3 g