Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
A very yummy side to make while you are grilling your chicken or steaks. Enjoy!
Make and share this Nif's Grilled Tomatoes With Pesto and Cheese recipe from Food.com.
- 2 large roma tomatoes, cut in half
- 1⁄3 cup pesto sauce, divided
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons parsley (optional) or 2 tablespoons chives, chopped (optional)
- Scoop out seeds and most of the flesh from the tomato halves.
- Using only half the pesto, divide pesto in each tomato half and top evenly with green onion. Mix remaining pesto with mozzarella cheese. Top each tomato half with cheese mixture.
- Place tomato halves on tinfoil placed on a medium hot grill. They are done with the cheese has melted and the tomatoes have heated through.
- Top with parley or chives.
This was wonderful! I made it tonight with leftovers of this pesto recipe: http://www.food.com/recipe/fresh-basil-pesto-272133. I skipped the green onions and just went with the pesto, tomatoes, and cheese. I also brushed the outsides of the tomatoes with olive oil and sprinkled on some garlic salt and fresh ground black pepper. They were so pretty that I just had to take pictures. Easy to make, excellent flavor - we'll definitely make these again. Thanks for a great recipe, Nif!
My parents make something sorta like this. They put the cheese on then the pesto and grill them. They taste great, almost like a pizza
A quick and yummy side. Made as written using Speedy Spinach Pesto. This is a keeper and while we loved it as is am thinking it may try using other types of cheese on top. Thanks for the post.