Onions baked with a cheese and bread custard like topping. Adapted from "The American Gothic Cookbook". Posted by request.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Layer onions on the bottom of a microwave and oven safe casserole.
- Cover with plastic wrap and microwave on High 3-5 minutes or until onions just start to soften.
- Remove plastic wrap and stir in 1 tbsp of butter.
- Layer the bread cubes over the onions and the cheese over the bread cubes.
- Combine the milk, eggs, salt, pepper and hot sauce and mix well.
- Pour the egg mixture over the cheese, dot with butter and sprinkle with paprika.
- Bake for 40 minutes.