A simple, super-quick-to-prepare recipe for an attractive and delicious appetiser, from the August/September 2005 issue of ‘Australian Vogue Entertaining + Travel’. The recipe recommends using good-quality store-bought puff pastry. For an attractive colour contrast, top half the puffs with the cayenne pepper or paprika as specified in the recipe; and the other half with one of these mixed with your favourite herb, finely chopped. Perhaps basil or thyme. You can have these fully prepared in advance, and bake just before they are required.
- Preheat the oven to 220ºC.
- Cut out rounds of pastry with a 5cm diameter pastry cutter, and place them on a baking tray lined with baking paper.
- Brush the rounds with the egg wash.
- Place 2 teaspoons of parmesan and a pinch of cayenne pepper or paprika on each round.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until puffed and golden brown.