1/3 Photos of Pesto Cheese Blossom (Paula Deen)
1 hr 20 mins
This is a recipe from Paula Deen. I made it for a New Year's party and everyone raved. It makes a beautiful presentation when sliced. *Changed to add an additional 8 oz pkg of cream cheese per Home-By-Dawn's review. Thank you!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (8 ounce) package sliced provolone cheese
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, at room temperature
- 20 pistachios, shelled
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaf
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley leaves
- 1/2 cup pine nuts
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 ounces sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil
- 1Line a medium bowl with plastic wrap, leaving enough overhang to cover the top.
- 2Reserving 3 slices of provolone, line the bottom and sides of the bowl with remaining provolone, overlapping slices.
- 3For the cream cheese layer, process the cream cheese, pistachios, and 1 garlic clove in a food processor until blended; scrape the mixture into a bowl and set aside.
- 4For the pesto layer, process the basil, parsley, pine nuts and the remaining garlic clove in the food processor until blended.
- 5Dissolve the salt and pepper in the olive oil and mix well.
- 6With the machine running, add the oil in a fine stream.
- 7Scrape this mixture into a second bowl and set aside.
- 8For the tomato layer, drain the tomatoes, reserving the oil.
- 9Puree the tomatoes with a small amount of the reserved oil in a food processor.
- 10Spread some of the cream cheese mixture over the cheese slices lining the bowl.
- 11Layer the pesto mixture, half of the remaining cream cheese mixture, the sun-dried tomato mixture and then remaining cream cheese mixture in the bowl.
- 12Cover with remaining provolone.
- 13Bring edges of the plastic wrap together over the top and secure with a twist tie.
- 14*Freeze until firm to the touch.
- 15Remove the plastic wrap and invert the mold onto a serving platter.
- 16To serve, slice thinly and serve with party crackers.
- 17This will keep in the refrigerator for up to three months.
- 18*Note:Original recipe says to freeze until firm, but I wasn't sure how that would work out.
- 19I just froze for about an hour until it was firm enough to unmold.
- 20Can be store easily in the refrigerator.
Browse Our Top Spreads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pesto Cheese Blossom (Paula Deen)
Serving Size: 1 (62 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 15
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 222.0
- Calories from Fat 184
- Total Fat 20.5 g
- Saturated Fat 9.0 g
- Cholesterol 43.7 mg
- Sodium 285.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 4.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 1.3 g
- Protein 6.9 g