Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened (low fat did not turn out as well)
- 1 (8 1/2 ounce) can pineapple, crushed, drained very well
- 2 cups pecans, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup green pepper, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons onions, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon seasoning salt
- Beat cream cheese with fork until smooth.
- Gradually stir in pineapple, 1 cup pecans, green pepper, onion and salt; chill.
- Shape into ball; roll in remaining nuts.
- Refrigerate until well chilled.
- Garnish with pineapple slices, cherries and parsley.
- Makes about 40 appetizer servings.
- The green pepper gets liquid when you process it in the food processor.
- I have to blot it with a paper towel.
- When I made the ball with the low fat cream cheese I either did not drain the green pepper and pineapple well or it was the cream cheese. Ever since I have used full fat cream cheese and have not had a problem.
This is delicious and is very important to get the pineapple as dry as possible. I used chopped walnuts instead of pecans.
I've made this recipe for years. It does make a very large cheese ball - I'm making it this weekend for the wine festival and I will make two balls out of it. Often times I'll use a red pepper instead of a green pepper and I use green onions instead of regular onion. We love this recipe - it's always a hit.
Ive made this before, but forgot and put the 1 tablespoon of seasoning salt. Comes out very salty, I recommend starting with 1 tsp and stir and taste before adding any additional seasoning salt.