Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Quick and very good main dish or side dish for any occasion.
Make and share this Potato Cheese Casserole recipe from Food.com.
- 2 lbs frozen hash brown potatoes
- 1⁄4 cup melted butter
- 2 -3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup nonfat milk (or whole milk)
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 pint sour cream
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- corn flakes, for topping
- Make a white sauce with butter, flour and milk.
- Slightly thaw potatoes and add to white sauce.
- Add onions, sour cream, grated cheese, salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix well and heat through.
- Pour into buttered 3 quart casserole dish.
- Sprinkle crushed corn flakes over potatoes.
- Bake one hour at 350 degrees.
This was really great, comfort food at its best! I added a package of cut up turkey smoked sausages to make it a main dish. I also added most of a package of cream cheese that I had in the fridge, and a little Beer 'n' Brat mustard. It was amazing, will make many times! Thanks for posting!
I can't believe that this recipe has been here over 5 years and I'm the first to review it! This is beyond delicious! I used the fat free milk and reduced-fat sour cream and it was so rich, creamy and cheesey! I used sharp white cheddar for this. The crunchy cornflake topping is a nice contrast to the soft potatoes. This is a keeper! Thanx for posting!