A quick all-in-one sauce can be made in minutes, while croutons give the dish a delicious crunchy topping. From : The Inspired Vegetarian
- 1 medium cauliflower, chopped into florets
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 eggs, hard-boiled, peeled and chopped
- 3 tablespoons whole meal flour
- 1 teaspoon mild curry powder
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- salt & fresh ground pepper
- 4 ounces mature cheddar cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 cup crouton
- Boil cauliflower and onion in enough salted water to cover, until they are just tender. (10 - 15 minutes) Be careful not to overcook. Drain well.
- Arrange the cauliflower and onion in a shallow ovenproof dish, and scatter over the chopped egg.
- Put the flour, curry powder and butter/margarine in a saucepan, and cook gently, stirring constantly, to a smooth paste. Add the milk gradually, stirring all the time, gradually bring to the boil, stirring well, until thickened and smooth.
- Stir in the thyme and seasoning and allow the sauce to simmer for a minute or two.
- Remove from the heat, and stir in about 3/4 of the cheese.
- Pour the sauce over the cauliflower, scatter over the croutons, and sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Brown under a hot grill until golden and serve. Delicious with thick crusty bread.