A quick all-in-one sauce can be made in minutes, while croutons give the dish a delicious crunchy topping. From : The Inspired Vegetarian
- 1 medium cauliflower, chopped into florets
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 eggs, hard-boiled, peeled and chopped
- 3 tablespoons whole meal flour
- 1 teaspoon mild curry powder
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- salt & fresh ground pepper
- 4 ounces mature cheddar cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 cup crouton
- Boil cauliflower and onion in enough salted water to cover, until they are just tender. (10 - 15 minutes) Be careful not to overcook. Drain well.
- Arrange the cauliflower and onion in a shallow ovenproof dish, and scatter over the chopped egg.
- Put the flour, curry powder and butter/margarine in a saucepan, and cook gently, stirring constantly, to a smooth paste. Add the milk gradually, stirring all the time, gradually bring to the boil, stirring well, until thickened and smooth.
- Stir in the thyme and seasoning and allow the sauce to simmer for a minute or two.
- Remove from the heat, and stir in about 3/4 of the cheese.
- Pour the sauce over the cauliflower, scatter over the croutons, and sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Brown under a hot grill until golden and serve. Delicious with thick crusty bread.
Wow - spectacular vegetable dish! Easy with a delicious complexity due to the curry powder. I made as directed and could not be happier with the results. Thanks, Karen Elizabeth! Made for Veggie Recipe Swap - VIP Selection.
Great dish! Loved the cheesy curry sauce that picked up the copped egg as it slid over the cauliflower. Made using fat free cheese which does not brown well. Also used sourdough rosemary croutons crushed up. Will definitely use the sourdough rosemary croutons again as they added a wonderful layer to this already yummy dish. Thanks so much for the post.
This was delicious. The cheese sauce was generous enough so you could soak the extra up with the bread. It was very filling, 1/4 of it was plenty for my BF and me and I had some for lunch to next day. I used low fat cheese and 1% milk to lower the calories a bit, otherwise no changes. Thanks! Made for Zaar best of 2009 cookbook game. :)