Don't know where I originally got this, but this is the best alfredo sauce I have ever had outside of a restaurant. I have made it with or without the cream cheese, and with all Parmesan, and it still turns out great. The nutmeg is essential!
- 6 tablespoons butter, unsalted
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese, room temperature (NOT low fat!)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 cup romano cheese, grated
- 1 garlic cloves, grated (optional) or 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder (optional)
- 2 egg yolks
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese (for garnish)
- parsley sprig (for garnish)
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add cream and cream cheese, stirring constantly, until slightly thickened.
- Stir in nutmeg, parmesan, romano cheese, and garlic.
- Stir constantly until melted completely.
- Salt to taste.
- Mix in egg yolks.
- Continue to simmer over medium low heat, stirring constantly, for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Serve over pasta, garnished with additional grated cheese and parsley.