1/2 Photos of Really Awesome Macaroni and Cheese
This is another dish that I would rather have than dessert. It truly is comfort food at its finest.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 3/4 cups small elbow macaroni
- 5 ounces extra-sharp cheddar cheese, cubed (1/2-inch)
- 2 tablespoons flour, plus
- 2 teaspoons flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 1/3 cups half-and-half cream
- 1 1/3 cups whipping cream
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 5 ounces more extra-sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2Butter a 13x9x2 inch glass baking dish.
- 3In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook macaroni al dente.
- 4Drain and place in the buttered dish.
- 5Add the cubed cheddar and combine.
- 6Whisk flour, salt, mustard, pepper, cayenne and nutmeg in a medium bowl until no lumps are visible.
- 7Gradually whisk in half-and-half, followed by the whipping cream and finally the sour cream.
- 8Add eggs and Worcestershire sauce.
- 9Whisk well to blend.
- 10Pour mixture over macaroni and cheese mixture.
- 11Sprinkle with the grated cheese.
- 12Bake in the center of the oven, 25 minutes until edges are set but center is still liquid.
- 13Remove from oven and let stand about 10 minutes to thicken sauce.
- 14The sauce will still be creamy.
Browse Our Top Elbow Macaroni Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Really Awesome Macaroni and Cheese
Serving Size: 1 (116 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 387.7
- Calories from Fat 263
- Total Fat 29.2 g
- Saturated Fat 17.7 g
- Cholesterol 130.4 mg
- Sodium 582.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 1.3 g
- Protein 12.9 g