This is another dish that I would rather have than dessert. It truly is comfort food at its finest.
Make and share this Really Awesome Macaroni and Cheese recipe from Food.com.
- 1 3⁄4 cups small elbow macaroni
- 5 ounces extra-sharp cheddar cheese, cubed (1/2-inch)
- 2 tablespoons flour, plus
- 2 teaspoons flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 1⁄3 cups half-and-half cream
- 1 1⁄3 cups whipping cream
- 2⁄3 cup sour cream
- 2 large eggs
- 3⁄4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 5 ounces more extra-sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Butter a 13x9x2 inch glass baking dish.
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook macaroni al dente.
- Drain and place in the buttered dish.
- Add the cubed cheddar and combine.
- Whisk flour, salt, mustard, pepper, cayenne and nutmeg in a medium bowl until no lumps are visible.
- Gradually whisk in half-and-half, followed by the whipping cream and finally the sour cream.
- Add eggs and Worcestershire sauce.
- Whisk well to blend.
- Pour mixture over macaroni and cheese mixture.
- Sprinkle with the grated cheese.
- Bake in the center of the oven, 25 minutes until edges are set but center is still liquid.
- Remove from oven and let stand about 10 minutes to thicken sauce.
- The sauce will still be creamy.
This is the BEST mac and cheese recipe EVER. I have been making this for years. I usually cut back on the amount of worcestershire - that's actually what it gives a bit of a horseradish bite. But I love this, my family always raves, and it is always requested at holidays. Thanks for posting!
if you see in the photos, i've actually added some mushrooms, crispy luncheon meat and some chicken meat in there too just because my bf loves his mac n cheese with meat hahah everything else in the recipes remained the same and it was really awesome!
A very good recipe that I have used for several years now. I have been told by the family that I MUST bring the Macaroni and Cheese. I vary the cayenne by the amount of heat I want in it, I have also used Mexican Cheese Mix in place of the 1 1/4 cup of extra sharp cheddar to vary the taste. It handles it very well and is always in demand.