1/1 Photo of Rich and Cheesy Macaroni
This is the best homemade Mac and cheese recipe I've ever made.It's creamy and cheesy and very comforting :) I got the recipe out of a magazine a few years back.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 6 tablespoons butter or 6 tablespoons margarine, divided
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 cups whole milk or 2 cups 2% low-fat milk or 2 cups nonfat milk
- 8 ounces process American cheese, cubed
- 1 1/3 cups small curd cottage cheese
- 2/3 cup regular sour cream (I have used regular or light with great results) or 2/3 cup light sour cream (I have used regular or light with great results)
- 2 cups shredded mild cheddar cheese (whatever you prefer) or 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese (whatever you prefer)
- 1 1/2 cups soft breadcrumbs
- 1 1/2 cups cubed cooked chicken, browned ground beef or 1 1/2 cups other cooked meat
- 1Cook Macaroni according to package directions, drain.
- 2Place in a greased 2 1/2 quart baking dish.
- 3In a saucepan, melt 4 tablespoons butter.
- 4stirr in flour, salt and sugar until smooth.
- 5Gradually stir in milk, bring to a boil ; cook for 2 minutes until thickened.,.
- 6Reduce heat; stir in American cheese until melted. Stir in cottage cheese and sour cream.
- 7Pour over macaroni.
- 8At this point you can add cooked chicken, ground beef or leave it plain.
- 9Sprinkle with cheddar cheese.Melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter and toss with bread crumbs; sprinkle over top.
- 10Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
Browse Our Top Elbow Macaroni Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Elbow Macaroni Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rich and Cheesy Macaroni
Serving Size: 1 (257 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 787.0
- Calories from Fat 417
- Total Fat 46.4 g
- Saturated Fat 27.2 g
- Cholesterol 150.4 mg
- Sodium 1629.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 50.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 11.5 g
- Protein 41.1 g