This is the best homemade Mac and cheese recipe I've ever made.It's creamy and cheesy and very comforting :) I got the recipe out of a magazine a few years back.
- 2 1⁄2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 6 tablespoons butter or 6 tablespoons margarine, divided
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 cups whole milk or 2 cups 2% low-fat milk or 2 cups nonfat milk
- 8 ounces process American cheese, cubed
- 1 1⁄3 cups small curd cottage cheese
- 2⁄3 cup regular sour cream (I have used regular or light with great results) or 2⁄3 cup light sour cream (I have used regular or light with great results)
- 2 cups shredded mild cheddar cheese (whatever you prefer) or 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese (whatever you prefer)
- 1 1⁄2 cups soft breadcrumbs
- 1 1⁄2 cups cubed cooked chicken, browned ground beef or 1 1⁄2 cups other cooked meat
- Cook Macaroni according to package directions, drain.
- Place in a greased 2 1/2 quart baking dish.
- In a saucepan, melt 4 tablespoons butter.
- stirr in flour, salt and sugar until smooth.
- Gradually stir in milk, bring to a boil ; cook for 2 minutes until thickened.,.
- Reduce heat; stir in American cheese until melted. Stir in cottage cheese and sour cream.
- Pour over macaroni.
- At this point you can add cooked chicken, ground beef or leave it plain.
- Sprinkle with cheddar cheese.Melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter and toss with bread crumbs; sprinkle over top.
- Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until golden brown.