A wonderful combination of roasted beetroot in a balsamic, garlic and olive oil dressing, served with melted walnut crusted goat's cheese and a side salad of baby salad leaves. I made this recipe up for a light lunch for B and B guests one day; they loved it so much, that I decided to put it on the menu! I have made it for us many times since then, and it's a real winner for anytime of the year. I have suggested baby salad leaves and herbs for the salad - I used spinach, rocket, red oak leaf lettuce and watercress in my salad in the photos. I also prefer to use red onions in this recipe. You use pre-cooked beetroot for ease in this recipe, and the roasting time is quite short.
- 1 large cooked beetroot, sliced in to rounds
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons light olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed
- fresh ground black pepper
- 4 slices goat's cheese (4 large slices or 8 small slices)
- 2 ounces walnuts, broken in to small pieces
- 4 slices baguette (About 1-inch thick) or 4 slices French bread (About 1-inch thick)
- 1⁄2 red onion, peeled and thinly sliced in to rings
- 2 ripe tomatoes
- assorted baby salad leaves
- Pre-heat the grill (broiler) to its highest setting.
- Mix the olive oil, balsamic vinegar and crushed garlic together, and season with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Place the beetroot in a grilling or roasting pan/tray. Drizzle the dressing over the sliced beetroot and place under the grill until it is tinged brown around the edges and the dressing is bubbling and hot.
- ( If you have your oven on already, you can oven roast the beetroot in a hot oven for about 3 - 5 minutes.).
- Arrange the beetroot on a large plate with the baby salad leaves to one side.
- Place the baguette under the grill and toast ONE side of the bread.
- Place the goat's cheese slices on the UNTOASTED side of the baguette. Press the walnut pieces into the goat's cheese and season with salt and pepper. Place under the grill and cook until the cheese has melted and is bubbling.
- Place the toasted walnut and goat's cheese croute on to the plate with the beetroot and salad leaves, and drizzle the hot dressing over the cheese and beetroot.
- Serve with additional salad dressing for the salad leaves and crusty bread.
- Serves 2 to 4 people, as an appetiser or a light luncheon dish.