1/4 Photos of Roast Beef, Blue Cheese and Caramelised Onion Bagels
bluemoon downunder's Note:
Adapted from a recipe in the pre-Christmas issue of the Australian magazine 'New Idea' which contained several recipes which make good use of Christmas day leftovers. This recipe could, of course, be made at any time of year when you have left over roast beef. At other times, you could always buy sliced roast beef at your local deli. You can either halve your bagels and toast the halves, or simply warm them in the oven. Whichever you prefer. :) And if you know you like lots of mayonnaise or dressing on burgers or bagels, consider increasing the quantities of the cheese and the mayonnaise. The other recipes posted from this collection are Roast Potato Tortilla, Char Siu Pork Pancakes and Ham, Cheese and Mushroom Quiche.
My Private Note
Roast B ...
Units: US | Metric
- 200 g leftover roast beef
- 120 g firm blue cheese
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 6 bagels
- 6 butter lettuce leaves or 2 dozen baby spinach leaves
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- sea salt, to taste, sprinkled on the tomato (optional)
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste, sprinkled on the tomato (optional)
- fresh basil leaf, to sprinkle on the tomato (optional)
- 1Making the Caramelised Onions: Heat the oil in a large, preferably non-stick, pan; add the onions (and garlic if you are including garlic) and cook, stirring, over a low to medium heat, until they have softened; add the brown sugar and continue stirring until the sugar has dissolved; season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- 2Remove from the heat and stir the shredded beef in with the onions (and garlic); and cover to keep warm.
- 3Cut the rind from the cheese, coarsely chop the cheese; place in a blender, add the mayonnaise and blend until smooth; add the salt and pepper.
- 4Using a serrated edge knife, halve the bagels, place them on an oven tray and grill them on each side until they are toasted.
- 5Assembling the Bagels: Spread the cheese mixture over the cut sides of the bagels and to the bottom half of the bagels add the lettuce or baby spinach leaves, the tomato slices (and a sprinkling of salt, pepper and basil if using) and the beef and onions, finishing with the top of the bagel. If you have any of the cheese mixture left, add it on top of the beef and onions before placing the bagel top back in place.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Roast Beef, Blue Cheese and Caramelised Onion Bagels
Serving Size: 1 (271 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 556.3
- Calories from Fat 171
- Total Fat 19.1 g
- Saturated Fat 6.2 g
- Cholesterol 46.0 mg
- Sodium 1000.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 70.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.6 g
- Sugars 8.5 g
- Protein 25.2 g