1/3 Photos of Roasted Butternut Squash and Feta Pie
1 hr 20 mins
Sweet caramelized onions and roasted butternut squash (called butternut pumpkin in Aussieland), teamed with feta cheese and partially encased in pastry. The roasting intensifies the sweet flavor of the squash and gives it a creamy texture, nicely balanced by the feta. Reduce the amount of fresh herb if you prefer. Preparation time does not include cooling.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 14 inch pie crust (I use Classic Pie Crust, Idiot Proof Step-By-Step Photo Tutorial or frozen store-bought shortcrust pastry)
- 23 ounces butternut squash, peeled and cubed,about 3/4 to 1 inch pieces
- 4 cloves garlic, unpeeled
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium red onions, sliced
- 4 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 3 teaspoons soft brown sugar
- 3 1/2 ounces feta cheese, broken into small pieces
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary or 1 tablespoon fresh sage or 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, your choice
- 1Preheat oven to 400F (200C), with rack positioned in the middle.
- 2Place the squash and unpeeled garlic in a bowl, drizzle over 2 tablespoons olive oil, and mix well.
- 3Transfer the squash and garlic to a baking tray lined with baking paper, and place in the oven.
- 4Bake for 20 minutes, or until squash is just tender and starting to brown.
- 5Place the squash in a large bowl, leave to cool, and reserve the garlic to one side.
- 6While the squash is roasting, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a skillet over medium heat, add the onions and cook stirring occasionally for 10 minutes.
- 7Add the vinegar and sugar and continue to cook for a further 10 minutes, or until the onion caramelizes.
- 8Remove from heat, add onions to the squash in the bowl, and allow to cool thoroughly.
- 9Squeeze out the flesh from the reserved garlic, and add to the squash with the feta cheese and the herb of your choice.
- 10Mix the squash, onion and feta mixture together gently, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- 11Place the pastry circle on a baking tray lined with baking paper.
- 12Pile the filling on top of the pastry, leaving a 2 1/2 inch (6cm) border.
- 13Fold the pastry edge up (overlapping as necessary) to partially cover the filling.
- 14Bake in the oven for 25 minutes or until pastry is crisp and golden.
- 15Cover the vegetables loosely with foil if they look to be over-browning.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Roasted Butternut Squash and Feta Pie
Serving Size: 1 (319 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 535.0
- Calories from Fat 308
- Total Fat 34.3 g
- Saturated Fat 9.6 g
- Cholesterol 23.4 mg
- Sodium 539.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 51.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.9 g
- Sugars 11.2 g
- Protein 8.9 g