The name for this British dish means "mixed together" - rumbled, and "bashed together" - thumped. This is a meatless main course but can also be served as a vegetable dish along with meat.
- Slice the potatoes thickly and boil in salted water.
- Once cooked, drain and mash.
- Slice the cabbage and steam or boil gently in salted water, do not over cook!
- Melt the butter in a heavy bottomed pan and cook the onions or leeks.
- Once they are all completely soft, add the cooked potatoes and cabbage.
- Add a little cream, season to taste and beat together.
- Place the mixture in an oven safe dish, cover with shredded sharp cheddar cheese and place under a hot broiler to brown.
- Garnish with chives and serve.