Had this in a restaurant and have experimented with the filling to get to this. Lots of variation possibilities with this one. Create, dear ZaarChefs! To sauce or not to sauce...that is the question. LOL Note: Prep time does not include refrigerator time.
- 2 salmon fillets, about 1/4-inch thick
- 1⁄2 cup short-grain rice, cooked
- 1⁄4 cup frozen spinach, thawed, squeezed dry and finely chopped
- 1⁄3 cup cream cheese (softened) or 1⁄3 cup plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce (optional) or 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄4 cup fresh romano cheese or 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1 tablespoon butter, divided
- In mixing bowl, combine rice, spinach, cream cheese, Tabasco- if using -butter, cheese, garlic, and egg.
- Blend thoroughly.
- Add a little mayo, if needed to make a creamy, but stiff mixture. (Needs to hold together well.)
- Dry fillets.
- Place enough mixture on fillets, to ½” thick-- spreading evenly. CAREFUL NOT TO OVERFILL.
- Starting with short side, roll up tightly. Place in dish with seam side down; refrigerate about 2 hours to set filling. When ready to bake, preheat oven to 400 dgrees F.
- Remove salmon rolls to cutting board. With a very sharp knife, cut each roll in half to form rolls about 2” thick.
- Place all 4 rolls in lightly sprayed baking dish; cover with foil and bake for about 25 minutes until salmon flakes.
- Remove foil; dot tops with butter and place under broiler until light golden.
- Serve hot.