1/1 Photo of Sambusaks (Cheese-Filled Pastries)
1 hr 35 mins
1 hr 5 mins
Chef Kate's Note:
As a child in Egypt, Colette Rossant lived with her extended family in a large house with a full-time kitchen staff. On the first Thursday of every month, her Grandmaman would entertain her many friends, and though Ahmed, the Sudanese chef, always whipped up a number of specialties, Grandmaman herself made the sambusaks—flaky, golden-brown savory pastries filled with fresh farmer's cheese or feta, parmigiano-reggiano, and parsley. If she was feeling magnanimous, Grandmaman would let Colette knead the warm dough. These salty savories would be served first along with tall glasses of iced tea or lemonade at the four o'clock ladies' card party, then reappear later as part of the dinner mazza. For centuries, these pastries—sambusak is Arabic slang for ''turnover''—have been popular snacks in Lebanon, Syria, and Egypt. From Saveur, 1996.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
FOR THE PASTRY
FOR THE FILLING
- 1For the Pastry.
- 2Combine butter, oil, and salt in a bowl.
- 3Add 1/2 cup hot water and stir.
- 4Gradually add 2 cups flour.
- 5Turn dough onto a floured surface and work in remaining flour.
- 6Knead until dough holds together; it will be soft.
- 7Form into a ball, wrap in plastic, and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- 8For the Filling.
- 9Place feta, parmigiano-reggiano, eggs, baking powder, and pepper in a food processor and pulse until light and creamy.
- 10For the Turnovers.
- 11Preheat oven to 375°.
- 12Divide dough into 20 balls.
- 13On a floured surface, roll each ball into a round about 4'' in diameter.
- 14Place a heaping tablespoons of filling in center of each round.
- 15Brush edges with water, fold to enclose filling, then press edges with a fork to seal(Assembled sambusaks may be frozen.)
- 16Place sambusaks on 2 lightly greased cookie sheets, then brush with egg wash.
- 17Bake until golden, 30–35 minutes.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sambusaks (Cheese-Filled Pastries)
Serving Size: 1 (1083 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 234.1
- Calories from Fat 143
- Total Fat 15.9 g
- Saturated Fat 6.9 g
- Cholesterol 64.2 mg
- Sodium 391.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 0.8 g
- Protein 5.8 g