Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This recipe came from a family cookbook. I have made it as is, and also without the cheese but adding a bit more milk. Both ways have worked out great! Another variation, is to halve the amount of potatoes, and make up the rest of the vegetables with baby carrots and snow peas.
- 1 can cream of chicken soup, mushroom or 1 can celery soup
- 1⁄2 can milk
- 1 dash pepper
- 4 cups potatoes, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Blend soup, milk and pepper together.
- Line a 1 1/2 quart casserole dish with foil, for easy clean-up.
- Arrange alternate layers of potatoes, onion, soup mixture and cheese.
- Dot top with butter and sprinkle with paprika.
- Cover and bake at 375 F for 1 hour.
- Uncover and bake 15 minutes more.
Delicious Scalloped Potatoes, Friedel! I used cooking spray to coat the casserole dish, freshly ground pepper, celery soup, 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese and topped with 3 tbs butter. Even though I must have used more sliced potatoes than indicated and created a lovely burned on mess in the bottom of my oven, these potatoes were wonderful and are well deserving of a 5 star review! The flavor was excellent, very simple recipe to follow and I will definitely prepare this recipe again (using less potatoes, next time)! Thank you, Friedel!
This was delicious!! I used cream of mushroom soup and added more cheddar cheese, couldn't be easier or tastier!!! Thanks for posting this recipe.
Very tasty potato dish. I used cream of celery soup and a red onion. It made a lot of 'sauce' which was great because we had Schnitzel and I just used the sauce from the potatoes to cover the meat. Will make again and try the other soups next time. Thanks for posting Friedel.