Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
Copied out of a cookbook in my pre-Zaar days.
Make and share this Savory Dairy Noodle Kugel recipe from Food.com.
- 4 ounces egg noodles
- 4 ounces spinach noodles
- 2 cups cottage cheese
- 2 cups sour cream
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 2 dashes hot pepper sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup scallion, chopped
- 4 tablespoons butter
- paprika (optional)
- Cook noodles until "al dente" (both types together or not, they may reach al dente at different times-read box/package) and rinse with hot water and drain well. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl combine cottage cheese, sour cream, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, herbs, hot pepper sauce and salt and pepper. Mix together well.
- In a large skillet, saute onion and green pepper in heated butter for about 5 minutes and add the noodles, stirring until well blended.
- Add the noodles to the cottage cheese mixture and pour the blend into a buttered 9" X 13" baking dish. Sprinkle with paprika for color if you like.
- Bake at 350 degrees F. for 45 minutes until hot and bubbly.
This was the first time I've ever made Kugel. It was a fine start! It was just for 2 people, so I halved everything but the worcestershire and hot sauce. Changes I made: no dried basil added fresh parsley used red pepper instead of green use vegetarian worcestershire All in all a pretty fabulous dish. Thanks for getting me off to a great start. Hopefully, I'll be able to upload the picture.
We SO enjoyed this for tonight's dinner: delicious! I always approach kugel recipes as fair game: an opportunity to vary what I throw in and what I omit according to the whim of the moment. It was a while since I'd made kugel so I approached making this dish with considerable enthusiasm. I made a few changes because of personal taste preferences and a few additions because I love the additional ingredients. I omitted the hot pepper sauce and used only 1/2 teaspoon of worcestershire sauce (we have almost zero tolerance of anything hot and spicy), I doubled the garlic and I added an onion and one leek: just love the combination of onions, garlic and leek. I also added a cup of thinly sliced mushrooms. I added basil and oregano (as in the ingredients list) but also added rosemary, sage and thyme. I used low-fat cottage cheese and low-fat sour cream as I find that low-fat versions of these makes no appreciable difference to the final dish. Once all the ingredients had been combined, I added two eggs - as eggs have featured in most other kugel recipes I've made. I baked the kugel in several smaller dishes as two were destined for the freezer. I look forward to making this again - probably quite differently next time. Thank you for sharing this recipe, Oolala! Made for Revised Bargain Basement.
One of the first things I searched for on Zaar was a savory noodle kugel, so I was thrilled to find this one. Though the recipe made an interesting pasta dish, every kugel I've ever had was more of a custard style dish held together by some eggs, and this was a more loose noodle dish. I did make a couple of changes but I don't think that sticking to the original would have made changed the overall resutls. I couldn't find spinach noodles, so I stuck with all egg noodles. I also left out the hot pepper sauce and bell peppers (I really don't like either), and was out of scallions, but I used mushrooms & onions in their place. I think that anyone looking for a sour cream style noodle dish might really like this, it just wasn't what I was shooting for.