I've searched through the recipe collection and did not find anything matching this recipe. It is my daughter's favorite veggie casserole dish and is always requested for her birthday dinner and any other time she plans on coming over for dinner.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Parboil the broccoli florets until still crisp-tender and then drain well.
- Place the prepared broccoli in a 9x13 inch baking dish (or at least a 3 quart casserole dish).
- In a small bowl or 2 cup measure, mix together the soup, milk and 1/2 cup shredded cheese.
- Pour soup mixture over the broccoli and spread evenly.
- *Optional* Sprinkle more shredded cheese over the top of the soup mixture.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan then add breadcrumbs and mix together. The breadcrumbs should be lightly coated - use an amount that fits your needs.
- Spread breadcrumb mixture over the top of the casserole to cover.
- Bake for 30 minutes in the 350 degree oven (uncovered).
- I have prepared this dish the day before and covered it well and then actually baked it the next day and it does fine.
- You can also add cubed cooked chicken to this recipe (about 2 cups). Place the chicken over the broccoli layer and then pour the soup mixture over that. I usually make a bit more soup mixture when adding the chicken. Makes a great one dish meal using leftover ingredients.
Very quick and easy to put together. I used fresh broccoli and lightly steamed it, then proceeded with the recipe. I did use the extra cheese as mentioned. It was nice and cheesy and not watery at all. Thanx for posting this!
Not sure what happened but I did follow to recipe exactly. The first time I tried this I liked it except for the breadcrumbs. So, I did it without and my husband thought I was trying to kill him and refused to eat anymore of it. The mixture was a little runny but I thought the flavor was good. I think that this is a good recipe but it has to be baked and served right away.
OK, So I tried this recipe based on a recommendation from the PAC2009 thread. I think I may have done something wrong.. None the less.. my husband loved it.. I think perhaps next time I will not use the brocolli florets but rathaer chop up fresh broccoli that is larger chunks.. I think the bag I used was too finely chopped and perhaps wasnt "thick enough" I also may have added too many bread crumbs?? Im not sure.. but I am withholding my stars until I remake this next week so I can give it a fare rating. It did have fabulous flavor though and this is why I want to retry it.. I think I just need to get the logistics of it down!